If you enroll in a clinical trial, some costs will be covered by the clinical trial sponsor, and other costs will be covered by your private insurance as required by the Affordable Care Act. But what if you have Medicare or Medicaid?
Click the links below to learn how clinical trial costs are covered with different types of insurance.
Private Insurance and the Affordable Care Act
- American Cancer Society (Scroll to “What is my cost? Will my insurance cover it?”): Costs Associated With Clinical Trial Participation
- National Cancer Institute (Video): Paying for Clinical Trials
- National Cancer Institute: Private Insurance Coverage and Clinical Trials
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center: Health Insurance and Clinical Trials
- Patient Advocate Foundation: Talking to Your Insurance Company
- Triage Cancer (Video): How to Find & Pay For Clinical Trials
- National Institutes of Health: Medicare Coverage of Clinical Trials
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center (scroll to “Billing for People Enrolled in Medicare Advantage Plans”): Health Insurance and Clinical Trials
- Triage Cancer: Does Medicaid Cover Clinical Trials?
- Florence Healthcare: Medicaid Coverage of Clinical Trials
Resources for Insurance and Clinical Trials
- Center for Information and Study on Clinical Research Participation: A Guide to Costs and Payments in Clinical Trials