The lists of eligibility criteria for clinical trials are often long and confusing. So are some terms used to describe the trial types, like dose-escalation, dose-expansion, maximum effective dose, and most effective dose.
Below are links to dictionaries that provide good definitions for and explanations of common terms used in cancer research. When in doubt, contact your doctor or the research team if you have a question about the goals of a study or whether you meet the eligibility criteria.
- National Cancer Institute: NCI Dictionary of Cancer Terms
- University of California-San Francisco (UCSF): UCSF Breast Cancer Glossary
- Eli Lilly: Washout Period: Your Questions Answered
- RECIST.com: Measurable Disease
- Quanticate: The Expansion Phase of Stage I Clinical Trials
- Cancer Research Institute, Queen’s University: Phase I Clinical Trials: Designs and Considerations (PowerPoint presentation)
Last Modified on February 10, 2021