Breast cancer brain metastases (BCBM) screening is when an imaging test, such as an MRI, is used to look for BCBM in a person who is not experiencing symptoms of brain metastases. The current NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network) guidelines do not recommend screening people with advanced breast cancer for BCBM.
However, people have begun to question the NCCN guidelines for BCBM screening. Research shows that because newer treatment options help some people with metastatic breast cancer live longer with the disease, an increasing percentage of people with MBC will eventually develop BCBM. Moreover, newer European research suggests that screening for BCBM may improve the quality of life and survival of some metastatic breast cancer patients with BCBM.
Read the following articles to learn more about screening for breast cancer brain metastases.
Pros & Cons of BCBM Screening
- Should Providers Screen for Breast Cancer Spread to Brain Before Symptoms Start? Verywell Health covers European research that indicates BCBM screening improves survival.
- Beyond the Breast: How Some Patients Combat Brain Metastases Cure Magazine includes BCBM patient stories and commentary about the potential harms of BCBM screening.
Brain Mets Screening: Comparing Advanced Breast & Lung Cancer Guidelines
- Spotting Breast Cancer’s Spread to the Brain Before Symptoms Could Improve Survival Imaging Technology News compares lung cancer and breast cancer brain metastases screening guidelines
- Looking for Brain Metastases Cancer Today covers the European BCBM screening research and the discrepancies between lung and breast cancer screening.
Academic Journal Articles about BCBM Screening
- Breast Cancer Brain Metastasis: The Potential Role of MRI Beyond Current Clinical Applications published in 2020 by Cancer Management and Research.
Clinical Trials for BCBM
- Metastatic Trial Search: Breast Cancer Brain Metastasis
- Metastatic Trial Search: Brain Metastasis (includes non-breast cancer-specific trials)
- MBCBrainMets.org: Comprehensive information about breast cancer brain metastases.
- Storm Riders Network: Brain Metastasis (includes non-breast cancer-specific and international trials)
Last Modified on March 11, 2021