Treatment options for breast cancer brain metastases (BCBM) have historically included only surgery, radiation, and limited clinical trial access. However, due to ongoing research, newly approved therapies, and changes to clinical trials design that allow more people with BCBM to enroll, there are now more treatment options available. Moreover, these new findings impact people with HER2 positive, hormone-positive, and triple-negative BCBM.
See below for an overview of current research and evidence on new therapies for BCBM. (Some of these articles also discuss leptomeningeal metastasis.)
- Defining Value in the Treatment of Brain Metastasis in Metastatic Breast Cancer This research article by The American Journal of Managed Care includes treatment options and a discussion of BCBM management’s goals.
- Evolving Treatment Strategies of Brain Metastases from Breast Cancer: Current Status and Future Direction This research article in PubMed Central reviews new BCBM research and complements the slide presentations from Clinical Care Options.
- Breast Cancer Brain Metastases: Clinical Challenges and Recent Advancements Breast Cancer Research Foundation provides an overview from SABCS 2020 on BCBM research updates.
- Breast Cancer With Brain Metastasis Dr. Nancy Lin discusses tucatinib and other types of treatments for BCBM
- Current Evidence on Therapeutic Approaches to BCBM: Local Therapy and HER2-Positive Disease By Clinical Care Options
- Current Evidence on Therapeutic Approaches to BCBM: HER2-Negative Disease By Clinical Care Options
BCBM Clinical Research
- Breast Cancer Brain Metastasis (BCBM) Initiative – The Marina Kaplan Project The Metastatic Breast Cancer Alliance started this initiative to expand and improve research related to CNS (central nervous system) metastases.
Clinical Trials Studying BCBM
- Metastatic Trial Search: Brain Metastasis (non-breast cancer-specific trials)
- Storm Riders Network: Brain Metastasis (includes non-breast cancer-specific and international trials)
Last Modified on March 26, 2021