COVID-19 is changing all aspects of our lives and medical care. In addition to changes to cancer treatment, the pandemic has greatly impacted the worldwide economy. With businesses closing and companies laying off employees, some cancer patients may have lost their main source of income. Other patients may have had changes in their insurance coverage due to loss of employment, affecting their ability to pay for treatment.
There are resources to help cancer patients get through this difficult time. Information on how COVID-19 has impacted the economy, links to emergency assistance funds, and resources for long-term financial planning to outlast the pandemic can be found below.
Financial impact of COVID-19 on cancer patients
- COVID-19 Pandemic Early Effects on Cancer Patients and Survivors The Cancer Action Network highlights how the pandemic has affected patients’ ability to pay for cancer care.
- Cancer, Coverage, and COVID-19 The JAMA Network outlines how job loss due to COVID, and therefore the loss of employer-provided insurance, has affected individuals with cancer.
Ways to finance cancer care
Emergency assistance funds
- COVID-19 Financial Resources for People with Cancer Cancer.net has compiled a list of financial assistance links for people with cancer, including a specific fund for individuals going through breast cancer treatment.
- COVID-19 Emergency Financial Assistance for People with Cancer OncoLink has compiled and is continually updating a master list of patient assistance funds targeted at cancer patients.
Further planning and resources
- COVID-19 Financial Advocacy Resources The Association of Community Cancer Centers has a wide range of financial resources for cancer patients to utilize during the pandemic.
- Financial Lifelines for People With Cancer During the Pandemic Cancer Health outlines both the financial impacts of COVID-19 on cancer patients and Family Reach, a financial resource organization for people with cancer.
- Financial Planning after Diagnosis Susan G. Komen of Colorado has laid out some of the first steps patients can take to financially plan for their cancer treatment.
For more financial assistance during COVID-19, visit Financial Assistance During COVID-19
For additional related COVID-19 & Cancer information, visit COVID-19 & Cancer