Every year, oncology professionals and patient advocates gather in Chicago to hear the latest in cancer research at the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s annual meeting (ASCO).
ASCO 2020 was held in late May as a virtual program due to COVID-19. See below for a carefully selected list of findings presented by metastatic breast cancer experts.
All Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Early Local Therapy Did Not Extend Survival in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Metastatic Breast Cancer The ASCO Post reports on a study that found removing the primary tumor with surgery or radiation therapy did not lead to longer survival in people whose first breast cancer diagnosis was stage 4 (de novo metastatic).
- ASCO: How I Will Change My Practice for My Breast Cancer Patients (Video interview from Practice Update) Oncologist Dr. Kirshner discusses four studies presented at ASCO that he believes to be practice-changing. The first trial applies only to people with early-stage triple negative breast cancer. The rest of the content is for people with metastatic disease
Hormone Receptor Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer
- ASCO Studies Explore Medicine Combinations, Order to Treat Metastatic Hormone Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC) offers a comprehensive look at research findings that focused on hormone receptor positive metastatic breast cancer.
HER2 Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer
- New Data from HER2CLIMB Shows Tucatinib Prevents Progression of Brain Metastases LBBC summarizes new data that shows promise in treating HER2 positive brain metastases.
- Experimental Pyrotinib and Xeloda Regimen Better Than Tykerb and Xeloda for Metastatic HER2-Positive Breast Cancer Breastcancer.org explains the findings of the PHOEBE phase III trial, important in treating HER2 positive MBC.
- ASCO Annual Meeting 2020: Metastatic Breast Cancer Updates The Breast Cancer Research Foundation summarizes two key studies presented at ASCO: KEYNOTE-355, important in triple negative MBC, and HER2CLIMB, which focused on HER2 positive MBC.
Triple Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Pembrolizumab Plus Chemotherapy for Advanced Triple-Negative Breast Cancer (Video interview from Practice Update) Dr. Mahtani details the KEYNOTE-355 trial of pembrolizumab for treating metastatic triple negative breast cancer.