MBC Update From 2019 SABCS
At the 2019 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, researchers reported findings from clinical trials that could lead to new treatment options for some patients with metastatic breast cancer. These studies included:
• HER2CLIMB: This phase III study looked at the combination of the experimental drug tucatinib, trastuzumab (Herceptin®) and capecitabine (Xeloda®) in HER2-positive MBC patients previously treated with Herceptin, pertuzumab (Perjeta®), and T-DM1 (Kadcyla®). The study showed the new regimen extended survival outcomes longer than Herceptin® and Xeloda® alone, including in patients with brain metastases.
• SOPHIA: Updated data from the phase III SOPHIA trial, which compared margetuximab and chemotherapy to trastuzumab (Herceptin®) and chemotherapy in patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer previously treated with other HER2-targeted drugs showed margetuximab improved progression-free survival.
• DESTINY: This phase II clinical trial looked at the investigational drug trastuzumab deruxtecan (T-DXd; DS-8201) in patients with advanced HER2-positive breast cancer who had already tried many other treatments. It showed a response rate of almost 61%.
Below you can learn more about these studies as well as other findings that are important to the MBC community.
HER2CLIMB Trial — Tucatinib
- Clinical Care Options (slide presentation): HER2CLIMB Trial
- Medpage Today (video): SABCS Expert Roundtable Episode 1: A discussion on the practice-changing findings on HER2-positive disease
- Targeted Oncology: Tucatinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Designation for Treatment of Metastatic HER2-Positive Breast Cancer
SOPHIA Trial — Margetuximab
- Clinical Care Options (slide presentation): SOPHIA Trial
- OncLive (video): Updated Data From the SOPHIA Trial in HER2+ Metastatic Breast Cancer
- OncLive: Margetuximab Update Elucidates Clinical Benefit in HER2+ Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Targeted Oncology: Margetuximab Demonstrates Modest OS Benefit in HER2+ Metastatic Breast Cancer
- OncLive: FDA Approval Sought for Margetuximab in HER2+ Metastatic Breast Cancer
Destiny Trial — Trastuzumab Deruxtecan (DS-8201a; T-DXd)
- Clinical Care Options (slide presentation): DESTINY-Breast01 Trial
- Targeted Oncology: Responses Observed With T-DXd May Change Standard of Care in Advanced HER2+ Breast Cancer
- OncLive: FDA Approves Trastuzumab Deruxtecan for HER2+ Breast Cancer
PEARL Trial — endocrine therapy with palbociclib
- Clinical Care Options (slide presentation): PEARL Trial
- Cancer Therapy Advisor: Endocrine Therapy With Palbociclib: No PFS Advantage in Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Medpage Today (video): SABCS Expert Roundtable Episode 3: The Pearl and Coralleen trials
Other Trials (slide presentations)
- Clinical Care Options: Circulating Tumor DNA Testing to Direct Targeted Therapies in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer
- Clinical Care Options: Neratinib With or Without Fulvestrant for HER2 Mutation–Positive Advanced Breast Cancer
- Clinical Care Options: The Effects of Trastuzumab Deruxtecan in HER2-Expressing MBC
- Clinical Care Options: Impact of Neratinib on CNS Metastases in Patients With HER2-Positive MBC
2019 SABCS Coverage by Breastcancer.org
- FDA Approves Enhertu for Unresectable or Pretreated Metastatic HER2-Positive Breast Cancer
- Is Oral Paclitaxel Better Than IV Paclitaxel for Metastatic Breast Cancer?
- Experimental Tucatinib Improves Survival in Metastatic HER2-Positive Breast Cancer, May Be New Standard of Care
- SABCS 2019: Tucatinib: A New Standard of Care for HER2-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer?
- Top News at 2019 SABCS – Heard in the Halls: Voices From the 2019 SABCS
- GRASP: Empowering Patients With Knowledge – Heard in the Halls: Voices From the 2019 SABCS
- Why Sexual Health Is Crucial for People With Metastatic Breast Cancer – Heard in the Halls: Voices From the 2019 SABCS
- Mets, Sex, and Side Effects – Heard in the Halls: Voices From the 2019 SABCS
- Beneath the Breast – Heard in the Halls: Voices From the 2019 SABCS
2019 SABCS Coverage by Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC)
- HER2-Targeted Therapies Presented at SABCS Move Quickly Through FDA Approval
- Adding Tucatinib to Third-Line Treatment Leads to Longer Overall Survival in People with Metastatic, HER2-Positive Breast Cancer
- Trastuzumab Deruxtecan Shows High Response Rates in Phase II Trial
- Interview with Hope Rugo, MD, from SABCS (video)
- Oral paclitaxel, update from SABCS
SABCS and Patient Advocacy
- Cancer Today: Cancer Patient Advocates Find Strength in Numbers
- Living Beyond Breasts Cancer: Hearing and Being Heard at San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2019